The Longest Ride - Nicholas Sparks 2.5 stars

I can see why some people favour this book while the others don’t. I, for that matter, happen to fall into the third category – enjoyed the story but wasn’t entirely impressed by it. It was just an okay kind of story for me; sweet enough to leave you aching but doesn’t make you sugar-rushed, which is a tad disappointing to be honest. But then again, I didn’t really know what to expect from Sparks’ books anymore. The last book of his I read was Safe Haven and that’s only because I got it for cheap. Even then, I didn’t really enjoy it. It seems my days enjoying Sparks’ stories are finally over.

So anyways, there are two separate-but-not-entirely-different love stories being spun in The Longest Ride (I hate the title by the way, I don’t know why but I just do). The couples, Ruth and Ira and Sophia and Luke come from different generations – the old and the young. Both couples don’t have any relation whatsoever that would tie them together – they are complete strangers – but their paths are bound to cross when they’ve found their significant others.

I may have made it sound interesting but in honesty The Longest Ride is just another typical love story. A bland one at that. If you’re a Sparks’ fan, rest assured you’ll find everything that you like about him in this book. His writing doesn’t change much. The plot, however, is a lot weaker as compared to his other works like The Notebook, The Choice and The Lucky One to name a few. I feel there aren’t enough conflicts in this book to leave a hollow in you. The couples were given life-altering news to face, they had misunderstandings and they fought but nothing that would really leave an impact to the readers.

I found that I couldn’t care less about Sophia and Luke. There was nothing in them that would make them special. A bull rider in recovery and an art & history student – it could have been interesting but the thing is, it wasn’t. Both characters were kind of static to me. Luke was boring, and so did Sophia. Because they were so uninteresting, I don’t have anything else to say about them except that they were forgettable. I’m already forgetting about them as we speak.

Ruth and Ira’s story, on the other hand, is a completely different case. I found their story heartwarming and most certainly intriguing than the aforementioned couple. Ruth had been dead for nine years. Since then, Ira was adrift between his past and present because that one beacon that had held him afloat was no longer there. For most part of their story, it was about recounting the love they had shared between one another. Definitely eye-tearing material.

Don't read this if you're looking for an epic love story; you'll be tremendously disappointed if you do. But if you're looking for a quick read, then I guess this can't hurt.