The Piper's Son - Melina Marchetta I admit it took me some time to warm up to this book but that wasn’t the book’s fault as I was distracted by my own excitement to start The House of Hades. I should have known not to read anything if my mind is on some other books.

Anyway, I loved The Piper’s Son! Marchetta totally rocked the story of Thomas Mackee and the people around him who were directly and indirectly affected by Joe’s death. I was affected by Joe’s death. Even though he existed only through other people’s recounting of him, I felt we had known each other for a distinct period of time before he was bombed. Marchetta’s portrayal of Tom’s, Georgie’s and Dominic’s grief and depression were powerful. The usual stuff like dropping out of university, becoming alcoholic, aggressiveness towards everything and withdrawal from people they love but it was like as if Marchetta’s words were laced with magic because I couldn’t stop reading! And what’s great is they didn’t turn out as cliché either.

I liked how Marchetta ended the story. It wasn’t that fairytale-happily-ever-after ending entirely but rather an ending full of promises of joy and a better future. It’s perfect! :’)