The Silver Linings Playbook - Matthew Quick 3.5 - 4. I can't decide.

If you are looking for a perfect story with perfect characters that leads to a perfect ending, then you're gonna be tremendously disappointed with this book. Because The Silver Linings Playbook is far from perfect. In fact, it is impossibly laden with imperfections. Imperfections that make you grit your teeth in dissatisfaction. Imperfections which force you to stop reading for a breather but at the same time, also the kind of imperfections that do not allow you to stop reading. They can be intoxicating.

And thus, the mixed rating. If the lots of you ask me, "Do you like the story?", most probably my answer would be this, "Hmm." Not that I don't like it, it is more because I cannot decide, really. Some parts of the story bother me. And I cannot pinpoint either which specific parts that really left me feeling unsettled. Maybe the intro. Maybe the directions the story could have gone into. Maybe the ending. Or maybe the whole story itself. I dunno. To be honest, I cannot settle on one. The thing is, I really did enjoy reading this. I enjoyed getting to know more about Pat, his family, his circle of friends and his therapist. It's intriguing in Pat's sometimes bizarre way. It's just that I can't decide if I like the book or not. But, it's good nonetheless. Don't be shy to give this a try.

Word of advice though. If you're not into imperfections, maybe you should not read this.

P/S: I happened to stumble upon this one review that said The Silver Linings Playbook is the adult version of The Perk of Being a Wallflower. I gotta agree.