What I Talk About When I Talk About Running - Haruki Murakami, Philip Gabriel I guess what everybody has been saying this book is true: What I Talk About When I Talk About Running really makes you want to take up running. I was skeptical at first when my friend said so. I was even more skeptical when I read some of the reviews on Goodreads. But yes, you really do want to start running, no kidding. It didn't take much persuasion, really. I was ready to chuck the book about 1/3 of the book and start my running regime immediately. While reading the book, I kept staring at my treadmill; I was restless. I wanted to run, and still is I guess. We shall find out later :p That's how powerful and impactful Murakami's narration of his own experience of running to me, and I bet to everyone else who has read the book too.

This book should be a compulsory read for a runner like me who wants to run but capable of coming with thousand of excuses of not to run. This book is a slap in the face.

I'm going to read this again. And again. And again.

Some of my favourite quotes from the book:

"But when I think about it, having the kind of body that easily puts on weight was perhaps a blessing in disguise. In other words,, if I don't want to gain weight I have to work out very hard every day, watch what I eat, and cut down on indulgences. Life can be tough, but as long as you don't stint on the effort, your metabolism will greatly improve with these habits, and you'll end up much healthier, not to mention stronger. To a certain extent, you can even slow down the effects of aging."

"I'm no great runner, by any means. I'm at an ordinary - or perhaps more like mediocre - level. But that's not the point. The point is whether or not I improved over yesterday. In long-distance running, the only opponent you have to beat is yourself, the way you used to be."

"If I used being busy as an excuse not to run, I'd never run again. I have only a few reasons to keep on running, and a truckload of them to quit. All I can do is keep those few reasons nicely polished."

Recommended to all! :D