The Lost Hero (Heroes of Olympus, #1) - Rick Riordan Updated - 30th Sept 2013: In the event of the upcoming The House of Hades in less than 2 week time, it seems necessary to re-read the series from the beginning.

It's amazing how I seem to know and not know everything at the same time. Sure, I've read it before - in early 2012, that is - but everything felt new to me. It feels like coming back to your home after a long time away and discovering your room is just like the way you left it but not quite. Maybe the bed sheet has been changed, the pillows arrangement is different, the curtain's pink instead of blue but other than that, everything seems in place. That's how I felt with The Lost Hero after reading it for the second time.

Re-reading the book had let me focus more on the characters for a change rather than taking in everything like a greedy man. I didn't remember being annoyed with Piper in 2012 but I was now. Piper grated on my nerves the first few chapters she appeared in the book. I don't know, she seemed shallow and a bit annoying. I'm glad it was only temporary. As her character began to grow, so did my admiration to her.

Now fully knowing Jason is from a Roman camp was a plus too. It helped me to take note things I didn't notice before. Like how Jason felt out of place in Camp Half-Blood and how dangerous he felt to be in the camp's compound like being in an enemy's place. All of these little, little details help to illustrate what a risky task lies ahead of reuniting both Greek and Roman camps to fight the greater evil.

Leo, he was still that Leo I remembered. Only this time around I was able to appreciate him as a person better.

Oh man, that cliffhanger is still mean. No amount of re-reading could ever steal Riordan's ability to scar his readers for life.

"Maybe it's the other way around," Jason suggested. "Maybe people with special gifts show up when bad things are happening because that's when they're needed most."

Read in 10th February 2012:

I have always been a fan of Percy Jackson and the Olympians series so naturally, I pick up Heroes of Olympus. The Lost Hero, being the first book of the series and all, blew me away. The moment I opened up the first page and started reading, I couldn't stop. The book got me engaged all day. I liked the ideas used in this new series. They were definitely the oh-i-didn't-predict-that-one-coming moments for me and I think those were the things what made The Lost Hero such an enjoyable reading. You'll definitely love this book, trust me. I know I did ;)